Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Family

I have two wonderful children, Anna and Erik, who never gave us any trouble or problems. They are adults now and still wonderful. They were both born in San Diego. Anna was born just after midnight in August of 1976 and the doctor who delivered her also delivered my husband when he was born. Anna was about five weeks early. She weighed 5 lbs 2.5 oz. My water had started to "drip" a week before she was born, but the doctor sent me home anyway. Because of this, she had bacteria in her when she was born and had to be put in an incubator. However, she did really well and I was able to take her home two days later. She was awake all the way home in the car and just looked at me. We did not have any insurance at that time, but I had saved my money to be able to pay for her delivery, so I claimed that she was all mine.

Erik was born in October 1979. I woke up about 2 a.m. because my water was breaking. I hopped into the car and drove myself to the hospital not too far away, thinking that the doctor would send me home again. The first thing the nurse said was: "It's full moon, this happens all the time." Well, they kept me and induced labor and Erik was born about eleven hours later. When my husband, Gary, came to see me, he was totally nervous. He said to the nurse: "Hi, I am Christina's wife, no I mean her mother."

Anna loved to dance and read as a child. Where ever we went, she always had a book with her. She loved to do well in school and did her very best just to win a candybar from the teacher. She was always a honor student. She now has her own blog: aroundthequiltbock, which you can find under 'my favorite blogs.'

Erik was very much into sports and did very well. He was very thoughtful and did not want to hurt anyone's feelings. One time when he was five years old, we were shopping at a mall in San Diego and found a fountain into which money was thrown while making a wish. We threw in some coins and found out that Erik's wish was that "no little kids would every go hungry." Erik has a website, ellipsoidclub.com, featured on the side.

One year both Anna and Erik got 'Citizen of the Month' the same month at Avocado School in La Mesa, California. Erik also got a very nice little note from his second grade teacher when we moved. Anna was honored as the last Citizen of the Month in her last year of high school.

I am extremely grateful for them!

No comments: