Friday, January 23, 2009

My Husband - the Runner



We went to St. George (in southern Utah) last weekend for my husband to run in the half marathon. He did great and finished within the time frame he had hoped to do. He started training in November 2004. Back then he could not even run a mile without having to walk half the way. However, he kept at it and ran his first St. George marathon in October 2005 together with some other guys he works with. Since then he has run several 5 K's, 10 K's, half marathons and three Wasatch Back Relays held in June each year. He likes to run in races where he gets a medal. He has collected quite a few by now.

It was beautiful weather in St. George compared to the snow and cold where we live. It was nice to get away. Our daughter and her husband came with us, which made it fun. We also go to a couple of our favorite eating places and visit the outlet stores while in St. George.
Some positive things from last week: The safe trip to St. George of course. The country got a new President. We were treated to free breakfast at work a couple of times. One co-worker gave me part of his lunch for free. (I like to eat.) However, I had my cholesterol checked last week and I have to watch what I eat a little better. My HDL was very good, my LDL was not so good. Gary also had his checked. His LDL was much better than mine and my HDL was better than his. The funny thing is that I eat a lot of fruits, veggies and fish, while Gary eats hamburgers, fries, pizza and always has a bowl of icecream at bedtime. A big difference is of course that he runs and exercises a lot, while I occasionally ride my training bike in the mornings. I am going to have my cholesterol checked again in three months.




1 comment:

Anna M. said...

St. George was a lot of fun! I hope you get your LDL down...maybe you have to ride the bike more consistently. =)